Read Multiple Perspectives on This Week's Events

As the DGHI Team in Moshi finishes its project in Tanzania, participants have come realize the lasting impact, bonds, and precedence that they have created in their short time there. Read about each individual's reflection on the entire experience.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Wrapping Things Up

So after completing our interviews the girls and I have been organizing data and looking over our information. The weather has gotten slightly colder, as it is winter here, and I often forget that I am in Africa. But the women carrying ndizi (bananas) on their heads, and the rickety dala-dalas quickly remind me that I am indeed, in one of the most beautiful countries in Africa. I have learned a great deal of Swahili, which makes it so much better to relate to the people here. I can say just about every food that I've eaten here, as well as ask for food, drinks, and directions. The medical students (our translators) are so pleased when I say a line or two in Kiswahili. Its such a fun language to learn!

On Saturday evening Philip (one of the translators) took me to a Wedding Send-Off party. In tanzania the bride's family must officially give permission to her and the groom, so that she can be "sent off" to wed. This event consists of a big celebration (almost equivalent to the size of the wedding or reception) held by the bride's family, and the whole focus of the party is the bride. The groom is merely another guest at the party. There is usually a goat served at this occasion, and always: a large display or food and drinks. This party was themed with beautiful pink bows and white fabric lacing the venue hall. As are most things in Tanzania, this banquet hall was outdoors, with open sides, and just a roof. There was an entire procedure for the send-off party, with many speakers, songs, dancing, and processions. I had the chance to sit with other medical students and chat about school, life, Tanzania and of course many other things. I finally had the chance to talk with a female medical student, which was great. I learned a great deal of things about her pathway in medicine and the many things shes needed to overcome. She wants to be a neurosurgeon, however everyone keeps telling her that its too difficult, and will be too hard for her. I told her thats pumbaa (nonsense) and that she needs to listen to her family and friends, but ultimately listen to her heart for life decisions such as these.

It has been a great 6 weeks in Tanzania. Our project went very well, and we are looking forward to publishing a paper. We've also made a photo essay and taken thousands of amazing pictures. Unfortunately the emotions, conversations and love we've also encountered in Tanzania can never be captured in an essay or a photo, and so we have all stored these memories in ourselves, hopefully changing us for the better.

1 comment:

CES Partnership said...

It looks like you all have done amazing work here. I'd love to read the final paper.

Hey there, I am a US volunteer looking for some counselig (around culture shock) in Moshi. Can you suggesst where to begin looking? If so, please email me at aprilatcespartnershipdotcom.