Read Multiple Perspectives on This Week's Events

As the DGHI Team in Moshi finishes its project in Tanzania, participants have come realize the lasting impact, bonds, and precedence that they have created in their short time there. Read about each individual's reflection on the entire experience.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Last Impressions

(from Georgia Hoyler)

The entire experience of being in tanzania was, as one must expect, a thrilling an rewarding one. I remain in contact with the medical students who were our translators, and I find myself at times missing their company as much as any Duke friend I have here in the states--working together on this project really made me appreciate the added benefits of doing international research. Those connections that I have made as a result of this project are to me as important if not more than the results of our studies themselves, because I learned so much about the tanzanian culture and positive outlook on life by being infected with it through these wonderful guys. I don't have any pictures of them for posting on the blog, but i know the other girls do.

I want to thank the Global Health Institute for funding this research, as I do believe that it has made members of Duke's university better world citizens, with a broader world view and a deeper understanding of the meaning and purpose of international work, which is not solely to collect data about a foreign population. I find myself drawing similarities between our mental health system here and there, and I have learned about ways to improve ours from studying theirs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey there,
I am thrilled to hear that you had another thrilling and rewarding summer in Moshi. Can you please change the text in your blog from international research to international service?

Thanks,
Mike